Saturday, June 12, 2010

Improving Your Chess Using Chess.com Part 2

Improving Your Chess Using Chess.com Part 2


In Part 1, I recommended playing “online” chess on Chess.com.  “Online” chess is similar to playing chess by email because a player has 1 to 14 days to make a move (where 3 moves is the typical time limit but I see that most of my opponents move at least once per day).  Here are 3 further ways to improve your chess on “online” chess:


1. Use “Notes”

Notes are private, so your opponent can’t see them!  Use “Notes” to record your strategy, plans, etc.  I personally use Notes to log my candidate moves (best to worst).  When I review the game, this allows me to see what moves I was considering.  Ideally, I would record my evaluation of the position, but I have not found a concise way to record this, and I figure that the candidate moves are the next bet thing.

2. Use the Analysis Board

You can find the “Analysis Board” at the bottom of the “Moves” tab.  The Analysis Board allows you to move the pieces around, and I personally use it to explore different lines.  I recommend, however, that you run through the variations in your head to improve your calculation and board vision ability.  Then take it to the analysis board to check what you did in your head.

3.  Use Conditional Moves:The “conditional Moves” button is located on the right side of the screen (see above image).  Conditional moves allow you to play moves in a “if…then” format.  I use this feature for obvious replys when I capture a piece, etc.  Using this feature will also speed your games because you don’t waste time waiting to exchange obvious moves.

King Kibitz
Do Tactics. Study Games. Play Chess

No comments:

Post a Comment